30 January 2011

The Patola Diet

Patola or sponge gourd is a common vegetable used for soups and dishes in the Philippines. I haven’t really consciously and voluntarily eaten the vegetable so there’s really nothing much I can say about it tastes.

What I can say though is that in Swardspeak, patola has become synonymous to a individual believed to be more straight than gay who has a tendency to date or even fall for a homosexual. A play on the word patol of which to fall for is one meaning. Another of which is to take things seriously.

Lately, I have learned the value of not taking everything seriously. Or not making everything patol. Before, Teenage Tan would often retaliate or retort even to the silliest and lamest. It’s as if everything I heard or encountered actually mattered when they really did not.

Things are different now though. If you ain’t worth the time, then I don’t give a damn about what you say or what you do. Thus, if you don’t hear from me about the things you’re trying to involve me with, it doesn’t mean that I gladly agree with what you say. It just means that I have realized that I’m a gazillion times better than dealing with you and the shit you’re trying to throw at me. Always aspire to be the better person, right?

Some would probably say that such non-confrontational approach may not solve the issue at hand. But why solve an issue which shouldn’t have been one to begin with?

All I’m trying to say then is for you to go on a patola diet. Only make patol those worth making patol.

No comments:

Post a Comment