21 January 2011

Back to Book

Last Monday night, I had dinner and played bowling with my family in Eastwood. In between the pizza and the dismal bowling aim (I definitely need to practice!), I went to Fully Booked to buy the The Girl who Played Fire, the second in Stieg Larsson’s Millennium trilogy. And of course, I instantly wanted to rip the plastic cover off the book but I had to wait until I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I was supposed to buy other stuff but since they were out of stock, I decided to go back to Fully Booked and semi-splurge on buying The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, the last installment of the trilogy. Hey, it might seem to indulgent but I always keep in mind what my parents have told me about books. Never ever scrimp! And so I don’t ☺

All I’d actually want to share today is my hope that the younger generation find more delight in reading a book. It seems that more teens nowadays are more enamored by movies, TV shows and brief bursts of word exchanges rather than engage themselves with a good read. A trend that may soon render books outdated and novelists jobless.

I know that I’m in no position to preach much about reading, especially the classics, since I’m more of a sporadic mainstream contemporary reader but I can still definitely attest to the many rewards of reading a book.

One of them, the opportunity to use your imagination to the fullest! Anyone of us could probably describe and imagine a more interesting Hogwarts in our minds than what any Harry Potter movie adaptation has ever churned out, right? And that’s just one out of more than a hundred reasons why books beat out the rest.

What are you waiting for? Read a book and open yourself to a new and exciting world where anything you imagine and everything you want comes to life! You may actually want to set a book quota for the year just like how my friend, Chris, aims to read 50 for 2011! Start today!

The reason behind the entry? One thing I’ll definitely remember about January 2011 is how I’ve been a bookworm these past few weeks. I have already read 4 books in a span of 2 and a half weeks! I haven’t even read five books in the last year and now I’m on my fifth! One, I hopefully finish by the end of January. Nom nom nom I devour books nom nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment