10 August 2011

Against the Prayer against the RH Bill

I haven’t really religiously attended mass the last few years. I know that I should attend mass every Sunday and all holidays of obligations. I’ve confessed it to a priest years ago. However, I’d like to reach that point wherein I’ll attend mass because I’ve prepared myself well enough to listen to God’s word. And not just to either sit in the pews and let my mind wander or succumb to the distractions. Both of which I’m often guilty of.

Last Sunday mass, I was unfortunately reminded why I have consciously decided to miss mass at our parish in the recent months.

They prayed the Prayer against the RH Bill.

I have been for the RH bill since early this year. Though I admit that I’ve only taken in a general idea of the bill, I believe that it will benefit the women it aims to protect. There still may be things that need to be improved on but I believe that the bill means no harm.

This is exactly the reason why I loathe this so-called prayer. It has painted the bill as if it’s something totally evil. I searched the phrase prayers against on Google to check existing prayers against anything. The results showed that the oft recipients are Satan, the devil, temptations, calamities and diseases. All without question evil, I suppose. I don’t think the RH bill is of such level. Yes, you may see it as something evil but I don’t think it belongs in the company of the most evil.

Because if you assume that it is, you’re totally voiding it of any good. Which is downright judgmental and insulting even to the people created the bill and those who believe in the bill.

If you’re against the RH bill, I have nothing against you. Matter of fact, I respect and have always respected the beliefs and opinions of those against the bill. Though of course, there have been times I was on the verge of erupting because of my disgust of the judgmental tirades and illogical arguments. I’ve learned that no matter what you believe in and how you profess it, as long what you believe in is the truth and the good and how you profess it does not hurt others, you’re worthy to be recognized as moral.

This so-called prayer against the RH bill does everyone no good since it further divides an already divided Catholic nation. The word against seems to instigate hate and condemn. It would have been better if the Church just prayed FOR something such as a prayer for life or wisdom. Not this. Not against anything. Not against anyone behind the bill.

I am for the RH bill and I am against this so-called prayer against the RH bill. I am against a culture of divisiveness, insensitivity, insult and condemnation which thrives through efforts similar to this so-called prayer. Against may be too harsh a word but we cannot be sympathetic with the unsympathetic.

And yes, I think we’re due for a prayer against this culture.

3 comments:

  1. amen. this prayer just goes against everything that it means to be Catholic. it's sad how prayers nowadays become imposed beliefs on people, rather than prayers that will enrich the knowledge of people to make their own choices. hay naku talaga. nakakasuya na nga pag ending ng mass yun yung ni-pray. napapataas kilay ko everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't consider it a prayer though because prayers aren't supposed to be like that as far as I understand what a prayer should be.

    ReplyDelete