16 September 2010

A Taste of Vendetta?

Since I don’t have internet access at home, I’m blogging this entry on a word document haha talk about semi-cheating writing an entry. But hey, this might probably be better since I’m writing while the thoughts are fresh in my head. Actually, this entry should have been written a month ago but as you probably figured out in my past entry, I was too busy for a blog entry the past month. Thus, the entry being published a month late. I know I promised and hopefully I shall be able to keep it from now on.

Since I chose to have this week off, I’ve been able to run errands such as opening my bank account, have my annual physical exam, get a haircut and renew my Laking National Card. Of course, the better half is just having all my time concentrated on leisurely endeavors such as having dinner with friends, updating my itunes and enjoying music from the past decade. I missed turning the volume up and just listening to music you love. And I’ve done it quite a few times this past week. My grandma’s probably praying that I get back to work sometime soon so that the house will be quiet again. Haha.

I also finished Steve Berry’s Paris Vendetta yesterday. Definitely up in the ranks of the Berry novels I’ve read. Probably even the best? It’s not your typical Berry book though since the historical fiction element gets a little toned down (but it’s still there!). However, the drama and dilemma are taken up a notch which enhances Berry’s already superb writing. For those who like Dan Brown, you’d definitely love Steve Berry! I’d lend you Paris Vendetta so you can see for yourself!

Though I’ve got this major, major urge to share with you my after-novel thoughts, I’ll keep shush so that I won’t play spoiler to those who want to read. However, I’d still like to share something and promise that it doesn’t give away one bit. Or so I think.

After reading the novel, I realized that seeking revenge can be likened to rubbing salt on an open wound. Instead of letting the process of healing take its place, it rouses the pain again. The vendetta-seeker gets so consumed by this urge to cause pain that inflicts it not only on the person s/he seeks revenge on but also on her/him and even the people around her/him. Thus, it creates a vicious and painful cycle which only worsens the wound. S/he ends up hurting more and more people and the rift deeper than before. It becomes even more difficult as the pain becomes more intense since rationality gets thrown out the window most of the time and the vendetta-seeker operates only on her/his emotions. A surefire disaster in the making.

There’s no escaping unless s/he does an act which betrays the twisted logic the vendetta-seeker follows: forgiving.

Forgiveness might seem unfair especially after a tragic loss but it initiates the all-important process of moving on and letting go. We all seek justice for the terrible things that have happened to us. However, we have to trust it to the higher being that everything does happen for a reason and that a greater authority shall handle the justice that we seek to serve with our own hands.

Through forgiveness, we take the first step towards healing our wounds and realizing that awful things happen even to the best people. Vital here then will be to reflect, remember and learn from the experience. Only then can we be freed from the pain we seek to purge with which we fail miserably at when we play the game of vendetta.

Take the first step today! Call up, text or message someone who’ve hurt you in the past and tell them, “I forgive you.” It might be difficult at first but the lighter feeling afterwards is definitely worth it. Of course, don’t force yourself if you cannot tell those words honestly! It’ll only worsen the feeling. Thus, be truthful and real in the sense that you do forgive him/her when you tell him/her!

Revenge is a dish best served cold as they say but it might be better if this seemingly scrumptious dish won’t served at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment