05 November 2012

Ang Mundo ay Isang Malaking Recto


Or Quiapo as the infamous line from Star Cinema’s No Other Woman goes. Maraming snatcher, maaagawan ka, lumaban ka! After reading or hearing the line, don’t you just feel the need to heed the call for that gladiatorial or Amazonian instinct inside you?

I did. The first few times I traveled alone to the Bronx. I’m sure you know Bronx’s reputation so I don’t need to elaborate on how that stimulated such instinct. As part of acquainting myself better with my new neighborhood, I immediately associated the Bronx with Recto back in Manila. The Bronx is Recto for me because the latter was the most immediate corner of the city that came to mind the first time I glimpsed this side of New York. The association did not actually help since I have had always been on guard every time I have been to Recto. It even heightened my “Ang mundo ay isang malaking Quiapo” mindset and left me too worried and paranoid.

Recto (source: wikipilipinas.org)
Until one ride back to Manhattan. Since I was still exploring the subway station, I used an unfamiliar entrance that time and reached the platform without much trouble. Suddenly, an old lady was trying to get my attention from another platform. Remember that my guard was still very much up so I did not react immediately. However, she insisted on talking even when I did not really look her way. She said that I needed to walk a little further to access the right platform since the trains did not come by the platform I was standing. I was amazed and ashamed at the same time to the point that I could only utter an inaudible ‘thank you’ and silently wish her a good week.

We have our own Quiapos and Rectos. Since we were young, we have been told to stay away from strangers when we visit them to a point that we become suspicious and untrusting. As a result, we too often approach others with an exaggerated amount of caution. Thus, we perceive random acts of kindness as bittersweet surprises rather than everyday blessings. Consequently, we miss out on the simple human joy that helping or being helped by others brings.

How should we conduct ourselves in our Quiapo or Recto then? Certainly, I would not propose total loss of caution. Yes, you might need that gladiatorial or Amazonian instinct once in a while since there’s always that chance that the stranger is one to be cautious about after all. However, it leads us back to where we began since it just propagates our current mantra.  Thus, I recommend that you let your guard down just enough for you to appreciate and actually enjoy the blessing of a moment with a stranger. Approach strangers with a lot less suspicion and a whole lot more of trust and enjoy the blessing just as I did during this little episode of mine.

Ang mundo ay isang malaking Recto/Quiapo. Marami ngang snatcher ngunit higit namang marami ang taong handang tulungan ka! Magtiwala ka lang!

No comments:

Post a Comment